Saturday, February 7, 2009

EVERYTHING IN ITS RIGHT PLACE


Standing at my desk, half packed boxes surround me. I have decided now would be a good time to import a whole lotta music into my itunes. fan blowing occasionally, hitting my legs, my upper body is hot and bothered, sunburnt and sticky. moving house is such fun. less than a week and i am outta here. i start to get nostalgic now. even though my new place is the bomb. big windows, sound of wind rattling through an old deco apartment. i know i am going to love it, even if it means feeling scruffy in super shiny neighbourhood. at least there will be no dog hair on the couch and no passive stoning before breakfast.

the process of unloading shelf contents into boxes stirs up a lot more than dust. there are handwritten cd burns from certain folk who don't come around this way much anymore. distinctive script and i read and could so easily weep, but it's too hot to go down that memory lane tonight. move on, straight ahead. keep on pushing. look to the burning bright future and don't look back.

it is just another way we store and log our loved ones. i can't throw out these souvenirs of a love affair. they are a record along with the sms, voicemail and photos that are locked away in an old nokia handset waiting to be downloaded to some more permanent chamber. where they may join the emails and the photos that have been printed out. a life past and a life lost.

i can't be so sentimental. or maybe i can. afterall, i am listening to ella and louis while i am supposed to be packing.
"the way you wear your hat... the way you sing off key, the way you haunt my dreams, no they can't take that away from me."

No comments:

Post a Comment